NAME: Julius Brents
SCHOOL: Kansas State
HEIGHT: 6’2 3/4″
HOMETOWN: Indianapolis, IN
HIGH SCHOOL: Warner Central
GAMES WATCHED: Alabama, TCU, TCU (Big 12 Championship)
- 2018 (5 games at Iowa): 13 tackles, 3 passes defensed, and 1 interception.
- 2019: Missed the season with an injury.
- 2020 (2 games at Iowa): 4 tackles and 1 pass defensed.
- 2021 (13 games): 49 tackles, 3 for loss, 2 passes defensed, and 1 interception.
- 2022 (14 games): 45 tackles, 3.5 for loss, 4 passes defensed, 4 interceptions, and 1 forced fumble.
- Man Coverage: 70 (Star)
- Instincts: 70 (Star)
- Zone Coverage: 60 (Above Average)
- Ball Skills: 55 (Above Average)
- Tackling/Run Support: 50 (Average)
- Physicality: 50 (Average)
- Change of Direction: 55 (Above Average)
- Long Speed: 55 (Above Average)
- Recovery: 55 (Above Average)
- Frame: 60 (Above Average)
Julius Brents is an ACTIVE corner. He is highly skilled in man coverage, which he put on display at the Senior Bowl. His instincts are incredibly high level, and he reacts pretty fast to the ball. His height and arm length are his most significant assets. He’s 6’3″ and has 33 ¾ inch arms, and is plenty fast to keep up with smaller fast WRs. The BEST thing that Brents has in his arsenal is his hands. Brents’ hands never stop moving, and he never grabs the wide receiver. Because of his pretty slight frame, Brents does struggle when he needs to get physical, but he makes up for it with his speed and length. Brents normally gets his head around to the ball. Brents made more than a few plays on the ball with 4 picks and 4 passes defensed. I do think his change of direction is poor, but his length lets him get back into the play quickly. He tries really hard in the run game, but he isn’t the best run tackler and gets laid out by tight ends or climbing linemen. He just feels like a Legion of Boom Seahawks style cornerback. Brents’ ceiling is one of the highest in the class, and I think he can end up as one of the best CBs in this draft long term.
One thought on “Julius Brents Scouting Report”