NAME: Roschon Johnson
HEIGHT: 6’0 3/8″
HOMETOWN: Port Neches, TX
HIGH SCHOOL: Port Neches-Groves
GAMES WATCHED: Alabama, Kansas State, Iowa State
- 2019 (13 games): 123 attempts for 649 yards (5.3 per carry) and 7 TDs; 23 receptions for 158 yards and 1 TD.
- 2020 (10 games): 80 attempts for 418 yards (5.2 per carry) and 6 TDs; 8 receptions for 51 yards and 1 TD.
- 2021 (12 games): 96 attempts for 569 yards (5.9 per carry) and 5 TDs; 11 receptions for 83 yards.
- 2022 (12 games): 93 attempts for 554 yards (6.0 per carry) and 5 TDs; 14 receptions for 128 yards and 1 TD.
- Creativity: 55 (Above Average)
- Vision: 60 (Above Average)
- Contact Balance: 70 (Star)
- Pass Catching: 50 (Average)
- Long Speed: 55 (Above Average)
- Power: 70 (Star)
- Explosiveness: 55 (Above Average)
- Blocking: 75 (Elite)
- Durability: 50 (Average)
- Ball Security: 50 (Average)
Texas running back Bijan Robinson is going to garner the most attention this week, and for good reason. However, that doesn’t mean that his running mate, Roschon Johnson, should be slept on. Johnson has a knack for doing the dirty work, namely pass protection and run blocking. On passing downs, Johnson goes out of his way to find work, quickly engaging and creating knockback when given the opportunity. Even on run plays, Johnson will often be tasked with lead blocking, in which he does a more than admirable job. That strength that he shows while blocking also carries over to his ability with the ball in his hands. He often runs over smaller defenders, and is able to put his head down or utilize his stiff arm in short yardage situations. He also is more elusive than his stature would lead many to believe, utilizing subtle cuts and changes of direction to stay behind his blocks down the field. What he lacks in the explosiveness of a smaller back, he makes up for in his above average vision and ability to stay on his feet in tight situations muddied with the legs of defenders. His skillset is clearly suited for a power scheme and inside calls, and while there are concerns about his durability and high end explosiveness, Johnson can certainly be a contributor to a top-end run game.