NAME: Josh Downs
SCHOOL: North Carolina
HOMETOWN: Suwanee, GA
HIGH SCHOOL: North Gwinnett
GAMES WATCHED: Virginia, Wake Forest, North Carolina State
- 2020 (10 games): 10 targets with 7 receptions for 119 yards and 3 TD. 1 rushing attempt for -3 yards. 1 drop.
- 2021 (13 games): 144 targets with 101 receptions for 1335 yards and 8 TD. 10 drops.
- Route Running: 65 (Star)
- Separation: 70 (Star)
- Ball Skills: 60 (Above Average)
- Downfield Ability: 75 (Elite)
- Run After Catch: 75 (Elite)
- Contested Catch: 45 (Fringe Average)
- Versatility: 50 (Average)
- Release: 50 (Average)
- Frame: 30 (Poor)
- Blocking: 40 (Below Average)
UNC’s best receiver in 2021 with 1,335 receiving yards on nearly 150 targets. Spent 2020 waiting his turn behind Dyami Brown (Commanders) and Dazz Newsome. Electric direction changer that both creates separation before the catch and space after it. Smooth mover with elite downfield speed and stop-and-go acceleration that makes it easy to imagine pro success as a deep threat. Smaller frame has and will limit him to the slot, which leaves questions about his release package against press coverage. Strong hands but has struggled with drops (10 in 2021) and lets the ball get into his frame rather than stretching outside. Has some surprising contested catch skills thanks to vertical leaping ability. Has multiple paths to first round status in 2023. Could spend more time on the boundary to prove frame is not an inhibitor. Could simply see the first round as the draft’s fastest and best mover in space as the NFL continues to favor freakish deep threat athletes. Will need to prove he can produce without an NFL-caliber QB throwing him the ball regardless.