NAME: Roschon Johnson
HOMETOWN: Port Neches, TX
HIGH SCHOOL: Port Neches-Groves
GAMES WATCHED: Alabama, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State
- 2019 (13 games): 123 attempts for 649 yards (5.3 per carry) and 7 TDs; 23 receptions for 158 yards and 1 TD.
- 2020 (10 games): 80 attempts for 418 yards (5.2 per carry) and 6 TDs; 8 receptions for 51 yards and 1 TD.
- 2021 (12 games): 96 attempts for 569 yards (5.9 per carry) and 5 TDs; 11 receptions for 83 yards.
- 2022 (12 games): 93 attempts for 554 yards (6.0 per carry) and 5 TDs; 14 receptions for 128 yards and 1 TD.
Roschon Johnson was one of the best quarterbacks in his class out of high school, enrolling at the position in January 2019. Prior to the 2019 season, however, Johnson switched to running back following a rash of injuries. Johnson’s career high in carries as a freshman, with 123 in 13 games. He then ceded carries to the incoming Bijan Robinson. 2022 Doak Walker preseason watch list and honorable mention All-Big 12 selection. 2021 preseason All-Big 12 fourth team selection. Senior Bowl invitee.
- Creativity: 50 (Average)
- Vision: 55 (Above Average)
- Contact Balance: 55 (Above Average)
- Pass Catching: 50 (Average)
- Long Speed: 50 (Average)
- Power: 65 (Star)
- Explosiveness: 60 (Above Average)
- Blocking: 65 (Star)
- Durability: 55 (Above Average)
- Ball Security: 60 (Above Average)
- Red Flags: 9/10
- Ceiling: 50 (Average)
I was pleasantly surprised by Roschon Johnson’s game. All the talk is about Bijan Robinson coming out of Texas, however, his backfield mate is going to make a name for himself this draft cycle. Johnson is an interesting study. He is a tough runner, but as big as he looks on the field, you wouldn’t expect his footwork to be as good as it is. Something that surprised me is that Texas put him out wide more than I expected. On passing plays, they would start with both Johnson and Robinson in the backfield and motion Johnson out wide. Seeing a 6’2″ 219 power back run routes against top CBs like Alabama’s Kool-Aid McKinstry is wild to me. He is also a great blocker: whether in the passing game, run game, or on screens, he marks his man well and releases well. His ball security is good, but when he hits full sprint he does carry the ball a little erratically. He doesn’t have top-tier speed but he has very viable long speed. He isn’t a very creative runner but he hits holes when they are there, and when there aren’t he tries to run through people to make them.